Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Juice and the Indie Mom

Last week, I was included in a story in Juice about "Modern Moms".




Of course, I was (am) flattered to be included, especially since the comments I made that got me into the story weren't seen until it was almost finished. While the article does cite me as an "Indie Mom", unfortunately it does not include what that means to me. Also, what I had said about my husband didn't make the cut, much to his chagrin!

I wanted to share all of what I said here:


I never had any intent on being a mom... ever. I was pretty sure I didn’t have a maternal bone in my body. But, things change and sometimes just for the better at and at the best time.

At 21, I was at a point in my life when I didn’t know what I was going to do. Being a full-time bohemian is unfortunately not an occupation and there is little call for troubadours these days. But then, my husband and I found out I was expecting. A whole new path opened up. What if I could be a really kick-ass mom?

Now, instead of an indie chick, I’m an indie mom. Indie bands are so because they want to have complete creative control over their music and their art; to be able to produce what their vision is. I translate that idea into a parenting philosophy. Except my child is my art, and being a stay at home mom is how I ensure creative control. I also plan on homeschooling. Admittedly, music history will be my husband and I’s favorite lessons to teach... The Clash Appreciation, Britpop 101, The History of Grunge... ya know, the essentials.

Some people might think that being a stay at home mom is very traditional and an antiquated idea but it’s so not the case. Having a “career” was not something that appealed to me. Doing something that is required or expected of me automatically holds no interest to me. I have so much freedom now. Each day belongs entirely to my son and I and the opportunities each day are virtually limitless. It works for me just as it does for my son. I get to be that bohemian now. Largely, in thanks to my awesome husband who provides for our family and makes it possible for me to be a free-spirit and the kind of mom I want to be.

My iPod has a lot more indie-folk and noise pop than punk these days but my Vans and Chuck Taylors are good for running after a two-year old.



:)

0 comments: