Saturday, June 13, 2009

Some people need a few reminders...

So the big Coldplay gig was last night here in Des MoineS (as the Howling Bells singer pronounced it). I still have trouble understanding what is so hard about pronouncing Des Moines properly, does no one speak French? Anyway, I digress.

After experiencing the varied crowd at last night's show it's apparent a few people could have done with a crash course in the etiquette of concert-going. Etiquette as I see it anyway, and of course, what I say is gospel. :)

1. Be polite during the support band. Don't talk during their set. Not just for them, but others might not want to miss the potentially next big thing because you have a need to talk too loud about things that aren't impressing anyone.

2. In a venue like an arena with assigned seats, this is especially important: Bathroom breaks and beer runs need to be at a minimum and well-timed.
a. Don't leave and annoy people during a song.
b. If you must leave during a song, leave during a filler song.
c. Wait until a good or hit song is over before returning to your seat.
(Snow Patrol's "Run" and Coldplay's "Yellow" were both interrupted numerous times by people who couldn't wait to leave)
d. If you leave AND come back during a good song, a "Sorry!" is in order.

3. Women over 30 should not act like they're in high school again just because they're having a night out. Some of us take music very seriously.

4. Men: Backwards baseball hats and two-armed fist pumping should be saved for football games.

5. Don't be a douce.



Last night's show was all-in-all pretty good. I have never been super keen on Coldplay. Sure, their music is pleasant and catchy but a little too... liked by all for my tastes. However, last night made me like them a lot more. The end of the show did drag a little and I wished they would have saved a more popular song for the end of their encore (Shiver would have been my pick).

Snow Patrol was good as well. I got to hear "Chocolate", "Run", and "Chasing Cars", so I was happy. It was a good night, I'm glad I got out to see it.

0 comments: