Tuesday, April 21, 2009

"I, Robot" and Converse Conundrum

This is quite after the fact, but I watch "I, Robot" a lot, as it's a pretty good movie and makes great background noise.

One thing that has always bugged me about the movie is the scene where 'Spooner' is at 'G.G's house and she asks him about what he's wearing on his feet. Which he replies "Converse All Stars, vintage 2004." Now, the movie is set in Chicago 2035. That's not a vast amount of time, why is G.G. shocked by these shoes? It stand to reason she's seen them before.


Let's assume G.G. is 80 years old. So in 2004 she would have been 49. Too old to keep up with fashion trends? Perhaps. However, Converse All Stars have been around since 1976. When G.G. would have presumably been 21. This would allow plenty of time for her to catch on the the trend. She could have known people who wore them! One would think the sight of the shoes would make her feel more nostalgic than anything.

As a side note, that bird syrup container on her table? I have the same one in green and yellow. I feel so futuristic.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

live long converse.